
WHO Warns of Worsening Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda
The World Health Organization has issued warnings about a worsening Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda, reporting hundreds of suspected cases and over a hundred deaths. The WHO assesses the risk as high regionally but low globally, while efforts are underway to fund clinics and develop a vaccine.
The Story
Analyzing sources…
Source Diversity
Source Diversity
Excellent (100/100)Sources
Risk of Ebola spread is high locally but low globally, WHO says - AP News
Risk of Ebola spread is high locally but low globally, WHO says AP News
Read full article →WHO chief concerned at speed and scale of Ebola outbreak - Reuters
WHO chief concerned at speed and scale of Ebola outbreak Reuters
Read full article →More die of suspected Ebola as WHO warns that numbers will rise further
In its latest update, the World Health Organization says there have now been 139 suspected deaths and 600 cases.
Read full article →Head of W.H.O. Defends Its Response to Ebola Outbreak
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said criticism of the World Health Organization may have reflected a “lack of understanding” about how the agency works.
By Lynsey Chutel and Yan Zhuang
Read full article →Rubio says WHO was 'a little late' on identifying Ebola outbreak
The World Health Organization (WHO) has been forced to cut back due to the end of funding by the US, which had been the most generous contributor with more than $1 billion allocated annually under former president Joe Biden.
Read full article →Vaccine to tackle Ebola outbreak will take six to nine months, says WHO
The response to the current wave of the disease, which has caused 139 deaths in central Africa to date, has been hampered by security concerns Doses of the “most promising” potential vaccine against the Bundibugyo virus that is causing an Ebola outbreak in central Africa will not be available for six to nine months, the World Health Organization said on Wednesday, as the number of suspected cases rose to 600. Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the WHO, told a press briefi...
By Kat Lay in Geneva
Read full article →WHO chief concerned over 'scale and speed' of Ebola outbreak
The World Health Organization top official has expressed concern over the rapid spread of a rare type of Ebola in Congo. Authorities have reported at least 134 suspected deaths and over 500 cases.
By The Associated Press
Read full article →WHO says 600 suspected cases, 139 deaths in growing Ebola outbreak
Numbers are expected to rise, the WHO warns, as European officials emphasise the risk of a European outbreak is low.
Read full article →Could Ebola spread to the US? WHO emergency sparks fears after American infected in Congo
An immunologist says Ebola's long incubation period means it could cross borders silently, though risk of spread to the U.S. remains low for now as the African outbreak continues.
Read full article →Germany news: Ebola patient admitted to Berlin hospital
An American doctor infected with the Ebola virus has been flown to Berlin's Charité hospital for specialist treatment. Meanwhile, three people remain missing in Görlitz following a house collapse. DW has more.
Read full article →Outbreak of rare Ebola strain sparks race to find vaccines and treatments
An escalating outbreak of a rare Ebola strain in the Democratic Republic of Congo has kicked off a race to find vaccines and treatments that can be quickly tested and rolled out to save lives and stem the crisis. More than 130 people have died so far during the outbreak, the World Health Organization said on Tuesday, as WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stated he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic”. Tedros pointed to the emergence of cases in urban...
By Agence France-Presse
Read full article →WHO evaluates vaccines as efforts ramp up to control Ebola outbreak
The WHO said Tuesday it was examining whether any candidate vaccines or treatments could be used to rein in what it warned could be a lengthy Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The WHO has declared the surge of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever, suspected to have killed 131 people and infected more than 500, an international health emergency.
By FRANCE24
Read full article →The struggle to contain the Ebola outbreak in DRC: ‘It’s very much not under control’
Rachel Hagan speaks to health workers and aid groups about how difficult it is to stop an outbreak that took weeks to confirm in a country where hospitals and health centres already under strain have been hit by aid cuts from countries like the US and UK
By Rachel Hagan
Read full article →Ebola Outbreak Update: An American Doctor, A WHO Emergency, And What The New Numbers Mean - Forbes
Ebola Outbreak Update: An American Doctor, A WHO Emergency, And What The New Numbers Mean Forbes
Read full article →'Not a pandemic emergency': WHO warns of high local Ebola risk, says global threat is low
The WHO has declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, citing a high risk of national and regional spread. While the global risk is low and it doesn't meet pandemic criteria, the agency warns the outbreak may have begun months ago and expects case numbers to rise.
By TOI WORLD DESK
Read full article →WHO says 139 suspected Ebola deaths in Congo outbreak, numbers expected to rise - The Straits Times
WHO says 139 suspected Ebola deaths in Congo outbreak, numbers expected to rise The Straits Times
Read full article →A new Ebola outbreak could be the worst in a decade
Medics know how to respond. But aid cuts, war and the lack of a vaccine make it difficult
Read full article →United States to fund Ebola clinics as aid cuts blamed for spread of virus
Ebola cases continued to rise in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Wednesday as the United States pledged to fund up to 50 treatment clinics and aid groups blamed earlier US funding cuts for weakening disease surveillance in the region.
By RFI
Read full article →WHO says Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide
The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday said the risk of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) deadly Ebola outbreak was currently high at the national and regional levels but low worldwide. WHO experts said that while investigations into its origins were ongoing, given the scale of the situation in the eastern DRC, the outbreak probably began a couple of months ago. But the UN health agency’s emergency committee said it did not currently meet the pandemic emergency threshold. “WH...
By none@none.com (AFP)
Read full article →US Ebola patient from DR Congo in Germany for treatment
A US doctor who contracted Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo during the current deadly outbreak has been admitted to an isolation ward in a German hospital, health officials said.
Read full article →Latest outbreak of Ebola in central Africa prompts global health emergency
DRC and WHO officials have identified over 500 cases in the DRC and recorded one confirmed death from the disease in neighboring Uganda as of Wednesday.
Read full article →Asian countries boost Ebola precautions after WHO declaration
Officials say the likelihood of local transmission remains low, and no cases have been publicly confirmed in Asia.
Read full article →Ebola deaths in East Congo bring toll to 131 as outbreak spreads
Authorities in Uganda, Rwanda and the US are tightening border and travel controls, while Germany prepares to treat an infected American
By Erikas Mwisi
Read full article →WHO Chief Concerned Over 'Scale And Speed' Of Ebola Outbreak As Congo Reports 134 Dead
Ebola is a highly contagious virus and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is rare but severe and often fatal.
Read full article →WHO 'deeply concerned about scale and speed' of deadly Ebola outbreak
The World Health Organization says 26 more suspected Ebola deaths have been recorded in 24 hours.
Read full article →Ebola outbreak: Why a rare strain is causing concern and raising vigilance around the world
While the Ebola outbreak is concentrated in Africa, its designation as a public health emergency has triggered precautionary measures worldwide, including in Asia.
Read full article →How worrying is the Ebola outbreak?
Rare Bundibugyo strain of infectious disease, detected in DR Congo and Uganda, has no approved vaccine or treatment
By Harriet Marsden, The Week UK
Read full article →Africa ramps up Ebola response as cases rise - China Daily - Global Edition
Africa ramps up Ebola response as cases rise China Daily - Global Edition
Read full article →Malaysia steps up Ebola preparedness after WHO declares global health emergency
PUTRAJAYA, May 20 — The Health Ministry (MOH) has stepped up preparedness and monitoring measures following the Wo...
Read full article →With Ebola in Uganda, DRC, Kenya should be vigilant
Ebola remains one of the deadliest infectious diseases in the world.
Read full article →FAAN promises enhanced Ebola preparedness at airports
Nigeria’s FAAN has implemented robust preventive measures and health screenings at all international airports in response to the Ebola outbreak in Central Read More: https://punchng.com/faan-promises-enhanced-ebola-preparedness-at-airports/
By Punch Newspapers
Read full article →WHO warnings on Ebola outbreaks in Africa prompt Mexico to issue a travel advisory
As with the hantavirus, there are no confirmed cases in Mexico and the probability of a local outbreak is low, but the Health Ministry and the World Health Organization urge travelers to take precautions. The post WHO warnings on Ebola outbreaks in Africa prompt Mexico to issue a travel advisory appeared first on Mexico News Daily
By MND Staff
Read full article →New Ebola outbreak has no approved vaccine, WHO warns
“And fifth, this epidemic is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, a species of Ebola virus for which there are no approved vaccines or therapeutics,” Tedros warned. The post New Ebola outbreak has no approved vaccine, WHO warns appeared first on Vanguard News.
By Ayobami
Read full article →'Ebola has tortured us': Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads - the-star.co.ke
'Ebola has tortured us': Fear grips eastern DR Congo as deadly virus spreads the-star.co.ke
Read full article →WHO warns Ebola outbreak in DR Congo and Uganda could worsen as suspected deaths hit 139
The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, has raised alarm over the growing Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda, warning that the epidemic poses a serious regional threat amid rising suspected cases and deaths.
By Emmanuel Tetteh
Read full article →Risk of Ebola spread is high regionally but low globally, WHO says - Naharnet
Risk of Ebola spread is high regionally but low globally, WHO says Naharnet
Read full article →Ebola in the DRC: the epidemic is spreading in a conflict-ridden region - Seneweb
Ebola in the DRC: the epidemic is spreading in a conflict-ridden region Seneweb
Read full article →Ebola spread risk high in region but low globally: WHO - International - World - Ahram Online
Ebola spread risk high in region but low globally: WHO - International - World Ahram Online
Read full article →


