
US and South Korea Halve Joint Military Drills Amid Trump's Push for Kim Summit
The United States and South Korea have significantly reduced the duration of their joint military exercises, reportedly by half, following an order from President Trump as he seeks a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. This decision has sparked discussions about its implications for regional security and the alliance between the two nations.
The Story
Analyzing sources…
Source Diversity
Source Diversity
Excellent (92/100)Sources
South Korea Says Joint Military Drills With US to Be Curtailed
The US and South Korea agreed to curtail joint military drills after President Donald Trump ordered a reduction, citing his good relationship with Pyongyang.
By Soo-Hyang Choi
Read full article →S. Korea stresses US alliance amid confusion over Trump drill cut
Lee's comments Tuesday come as many South Koreans remain baffled and concerned about U.S. President Donald Trump's abrupt order to "substantially reduce" military exercises with South Korea.
By The Associated Press
Read full article →Seoul, Washington to halve joint drills as Trump reportedly seeks summit with North Korea's Kim
Seoul, Washington to halve joint drills as Trump reportedly seeks summit with North Korea's Kim
Read full article →Is Trump choosing North Korea over South Korea? | About That
U.S. President Donald Trump says the U.S. will scale back joint military exercises with South Korea, citing their costliness and "hostile" messaging toward North Korea. Andrew Chang breaks down why Washington is stepping back now, and what Trump's move may signal for the future of the U.S.–South Korea alliance. (Photo credits: The Canadian Press, Reuters, Adobe Stock and Getty Images)
Read full article →US, South Korea slash joint military drills by half as Trump eyes Kim summit
Scheduled joint US and South Korean military drills are expected to be cut by about half, according to South Korean media on Wednesday, following President Donald Trump’s order to substantially reduce US participation in the annual exercises. The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on Monday, had been due to run into next week. The allies were set to complete the first, defensive phase of the exercise this week and cancel or defer a second phase involving counter-attack operations,...
By Reuters
Read full article →Trump Is Signaling This To Kim Jong Un By Scaling Back Military Drills With South Korea: Expert
Trump cited his "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un, paired with the high cost of the exercises, as the reasons behind his decision to scale the drills down.
By ForbesTV, Forbes Staff
Read full article →North Korea grows stronger as South Korea reckons with fading US support
North Korea grows stronger as South Korea reckons with fading US support
Read full article →N. Korea warns of 'self-defense' measures despite Trump's order to reduce drills with S. Korea
North Korea on Wednesday continued to denounce a joint military exercise between South Korea and the United States, even after US President Donald Trump ordered a scaling back of combined drills with Seoul. The North slammed the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise that kicked off Monday for an 11-day run, vowing to "completely neutralize the enemies military threat" and exercise its right to self-defense, according to the Korean Central News Agency. North Korea's "exercise of its right to self-defense
By The Korea Herald
Read full article →

