PERSPECTA

News from every angle

← Back to headlines

Trump Administration Hints at US Strikes and Urges Iran to Make a Deal

The White House has warned Iran to make a deal with the United States, with President Donald Trump hinting at potential military strikes.

18 Feb, 13:21 — 19 Feb, 09:50

PostShare

Perspective Analysis

Comparing sources…

Read at source (7 outlets)

DW8m ago

US-Iran news: Trump dials up pressure amid diplomatic talks

The White House said there are many "reasons and arguments that one could make for a strike against Iran" but that diplomacy is always the first option. It comes as the US rapidly builds up a military presence near Iran.

Read full article →
NPR1h ago

Iran and the U.S. lean into gunboat diplomacy as nuclear talks hang in balance

Iran and the United States leaned into gunboat diplomacy Thursday, with Tehran holding drills with Russia and the Americans bringing another aircraft carrier closer to the Mideast.

By The Associated Press

Read full article →
Korea Herald1h ago

Foreign ministry says Trump-led Gaza peace board participation unrelated to trade talks

South Korea will attend the inaugural meeting of a US-led Gaza peace board as an observer, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday, while stressing that the decision will not affect the ongoing trade negotiations with Washington. Foreign Ministry spokesperson Park Il sought to quell concerns that Seoul’s participation could be linked to bilateral economic talks. Asked whether joining the peace body could affect South Korea-US trade or security negotiations, Park said those specific issues were not be

By The Korea Herald

Read full article →
Dawn3h ago

White House tells Iran to do deal as Trump hints at US strikes

The White House warned on Wednesday that Iran would be “wise” to do a deal with the United States as President Donald Trump once again hinted at military action. The two sides recently resumed indirect talks, mediated by Oman, after Trump repeatedly threatened military action against Iran over a deadly crackdown on protesters last month. A previous attempt at negotiations collapsed when Israel launched surprise strikes on Iran last June, beginning a 12-day war that Washington briefly joined to bomb Iranian nuclear sites. “Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration,” White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters. On Wednesday, Trump again suggested the United States might strike Iran in a post on his Truth Social site, with a US military buildup underway in the Middle East. He warned Britain against giving up sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean, saying that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed were Iran not to agree a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”. CNN and CBS reported Wednesday that the US military will be ready to launch strikes against Iran as early as this weekend, though Trump has reportedly not made a final decision yet. The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that Trump has been briefed on his military options with “all of them designed to maximise damage”, including a campaign to “kill scores of Iranian political and military leaders, with the goal of overthrowing the government”, unnamed US officials told the newspaper. Earlier on Wednesday, Tehran’s top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, said Iran was “drafting” a framework for future talks with the US. Iran and the US held a second round of Oman-mediated negotiations on Tuesday in Geneva. Araghchi said then that Tehran had agreed with Washington on “guiding principles”, but US Vice President JD Vance said Iran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington’s red lines. ‘Do not want war’ Speaking on Wednesday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted “We do not want war” but suggested Tehran could not give in to US demands. “From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” Earlier on Wednesday, Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency. In the call, the Iranian foreign minister “stressed the Islamic Republic of Iran’s focus on drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks”, according to a statement from his ministry. Tehran has suspended some cooperation with the IAEA and restricted the watchdog’s inspectors from accessing sites bombed by Israel and the United States, accusing the UN body of bias and of failing to condemn the strikes. Meanwhile, US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would deter Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other”. “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable,” Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency. Displays of military might The Omani-mediated talks were aimed at averting the possibility of US military action, while Tehran is demanding the lifting of US sanctions that are crippling its economy. Iran has insisted that the discussions be limited to the nuclear issue, though Washington has previously pushed for Tehran’s ballistic missiles programme and support for armed groups in the region to be on the table. While talks have resumed, the US has also been building up its military forces near Iran. Washington has ordered a second aircraft carrier to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln and its nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometres from the Iranian coast as of Sunday, satellite images showed. Iran has sought to display its own military might, with its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian politicians have repeatedly threatened to block the strait, a major global conduit for oil and gas. On Tuesday state TV reported that Tehran would close parts of the waterway for safety measures during the drills.

By none@none.com (AFP)

Read full article →
wsj7h ago

U.S. Gathers the Most Air Power in the Mideast Since the 2003 Iraq Invasion - The Wall Street Journal

U.S. Gathers the Most Air Power in the Mideast Since the 2003 Iraq Invasion  The Wall Street Journal

Read full article →
Yahoo18h ago

Why Trump's comment on discussing Taiwan arms sales with China has raised concerns

Read full article →
Reuters20h ago

Satellite images show Iran repairing and fortifying sites amid US tensions - Reuters

Satellite images show Iran repairing and fortifying sites amid US tensions  Reuters

Read full article →