
US and South Korea Shorten Joint Military Drills After Trump Criticism
The United States and South Korea have significantly shortened their joint military exercises following criticism from then-President Trump regarding the cost and scale of the drills. This decision marks a notable change in the long-standing military cooperation between the two allies.
The Story
Analyzing sources…
Source Diversity
Source Diversity
Excellent (100/100)Sources
South Korea shortens war games with US, citing Washington request
It comes after Trump announced plans to curtail joint military exercises with South Korea, citing a "very good" relationship with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.
Read full article →Pentagon Scales Back Major Training Exercises With South Korea
The move to end the military training a week earlier than scheduled comes after President Trump ordered the Defense Department to reduce joint military exercises with the key U.S. ally.
By Eric Schmitt and Choe Sang-Hun
Read full article →US and South Korea cut drills short after Trump criticism
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, designed to prepare for a possible attack by North Korea, will end around a week earlier than planned, both countries announced on Wednesday. US President Donald Trump said on Sunday he had told the Pentagon to curtail the exercises citing his 'good relationship' with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
Read full article →US-led drills to end six days early, South Korea says, amid Trump push for Kim Jong-un talks
South Korea’s joint chiefs of staff said the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise would end on 21 August at the request of the US South Korea’s military has confirmed that joint military drills with the US will be cut short, days after Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to scale back the exercises. In a statement on Wednesday, South Korea’s joint chiefs of staff said at the request of the US side, the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise – which began on Monday would end on Friday, six days earlier th...
By Raphael Rashid in Seoul
Read full article →US, South Korea cut short joint drills after Trump criticism
Allies US and South Korea are currently holding joint military exercises. The drills will, however, wrap up earlier than planned after Trump ordered cuts.
Read full article →South Korea accelerates military self-reliance over Trump’s ‘unpredictability’
US President Donald Trump’s abrupt move to scale back annual military drills with South Korea has handed President Lee Jae Myung a fresh impetus for greater defence self-reliance even as he seeks to maintain the long-standing alliance. Lee on Tuesday called for accelerated efforts to regain wartime operational control (OPCON) of South Korean forces from the United States and build nuclear-powered submarines, casting both as part of a broader push to boost South Korea’s ability to defend...
By Park Chan-kyong
Read full article →‘No intention to attack N Korea’: S Korea Prez Lee after Trump reduces US drills
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung advocates for stronger independent defense capabilities. He defended annual civil-defense exercises as purely defensive measures. These drills occur alongside joint US-South Korea military exercises. President Trump previously instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military drills. Seoul plans to continue strengthening its own defense while maintaining its alliance.
By TOI WORLD DESK
Read full article →U.S. and South Korea to nearly halve joint military drills after Trump criticism
The move appears aimed at luring North Korean leader Kim Jong Un back to talks, years after denuclearization negotiations with Washington collapsed.
Read full article →S. Korea, US halve UFS exercise after Trump calls for reduction
South Korea and the United States have agreed to halve the duration of the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise at Washington's request, Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff announced Wednesday. The allies decided to end this year's UFS exercise on Friday, shortening the drill to Aug. 17-21 from the originally planned Aug. 17-27 schedule, according to the JCS. The exercise kicked off Monday as initially planned. This is the first time a major combined exercise has been abruptly adjusted after getting u
By The Korea Herald
Read full article →US weighs scaling back Middle East military presence after months of Iranian attacks - report
CENTCOM chief Adm. Brad Cooper has been involved in the discussions, one source said, adding that he supports discussing the relocation of Gulf troops westward.
Read full article →Pentagon evaluates Middle East troop presence after base damage - report
Read full article →Pentagon Weighing Permanent Smaller US Presence In Gulf (Just Don't Call It Retreat)
Pentagon Weighing Permanent Smaller US Presence In Gulf (Just Don't Call It Retreat) Already US officials have signaled they may just abandon hard-hit bases in the Middle East altogether, in the wake of Iran's retaliation as a result of Operation Epic Fury, and a conflict that's dragged on for nearly six months. On Tuesday The Washington Post reviews the damage control underway, as the Pentagon 'evaluates' its future military footprint. All of this is framed as if Washington has...
By Tyler Durden
Read full article →

